Smoked Trout Mousse Wrapped in Smoked Salmon
by Burrastow House Hotel
Preparation time 1-2 hours
Cooking time less than 10 mins
8 slices smoked salmon 400g/14oz smoked sea trout fillets
1 tbsp horseradish
good squeeze of lemon juice
225g/8oz cream cheese
300ml/½ pint whipping cream
1 egg white
1 sachet gelatine or 2 tbsp agar agar flakes
2 tbsp Madeira or cream sherry
1 tbsp brandy
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Line 4 ramekins with the smoked salmon
2. De-skin the sea trout fillets if necessary. Put into a bowl with the horseradish,
lemon juice and salt and pepper.
3. Pound with a pestle or rolling pin to break up.
4. Add the cream cheese then fold in lightly whipped cream.
5. Prepare gelatine by adding 2 tbsp water to it and microwave for 40-50
seconds to dissolve. If using agar agar put 2 tbsp of flakes into a saucepan
with 4tbsp water and simmer for 3-5 minutes until it goes clear. Add to mixture
with the alcohol.
6. Finally carefully fold in the stiffly beaten egg white with a large metal
7. Put the fish mixture inside the lined ramekin dishes, cover with cling
film and put in the fridge to set for up to 2 hours.
8. When set, prepare a small salad of raddichio, frisee and lambs lettuce
dressed lightly with vinaigrette and put a little onto a plate, carefully
turn out the fish mousse and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Smoked Salmon Recipe Ideas
(c) Copyright 2004 Uig Lodge Smoked