Smoked Salmon Potato cake, Whipped Cream and Oscietra Caviar
by Andrew Turner
from Saturday Kitchen
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
500g/1lb2oz ratte potatoes (new potatoes)
500g/1lb2oz lateral sliced smoked salmon (can be pre-sliced)
4 tbsp peanut oil (can use vegetable oil)
50g/2oz oscietra caviar (or any caviar to garnish)
1 tsp horseradish cream
100ml/6tbsp whipped double cream
sea salt and pepper
10 leaves flat parsley
To make the potatoes:
1. Peel and wash the potatoes.
2. Grate the potatoes with a hand grater and season with the sea salt and
flavour with the pepper.
3. Place the peanut oil into 5 blinis pans and when the oil is hot cook the
potatoes until golden brown (medium heat).
4. Make sure to press the potatoes down with a palette knife so they cook
5. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
To make the cream:
Whisk the cream with the horseradish, salt and pepper to taste, until it
Place the potato on the plate and carefully place 3 slices of salmon overlapping
each other on top. Take 2 spoons and make a quenelle of cream (the shape
of the inside of the spoon by pulling one against the other), a dollop
of cream will do for the centre. Then spoon on the caviar and garnish with
N.B. This recipe uses peanut oil.
Smoked Salmon Recipe Ideas
(c) Copyright 2004 Uig Lodge Smoked