Scottish Oatcakes with Smoked Salmon Scramble
by British Egg Information Service
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
100g/4oz fine oatmeal
pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
100g/4oz Scottish smoked salmon
chives to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place oatmeal, salt and soda in a large bowl. Stir in the oil and 2 tbsp
hot water and mix to a firm dough.
3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use a 7.5cm/3in cutter to press
out 8 rounds, re-rolling as necessary. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden
4. To scramble the eggs: melt the butter in a nonstick pan over a low heat.
Beat the eggs with the milk and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the eggs into
the pan and cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the eggs
5. To serve: place two warm oatcakes on each plate, spoon over scrambled
egg and serve with slices of smoked salmon. Decorate with chives if liked.
Smoked Salmon Recipe Ideas
(c) Copyright 2004 Uig Lodge Smoked