Lightly Smoked Salmon Risotto with Tender Herbs served with Lemon Butter
by Sandra Tate
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
For the risotto:
250g/9oz risotto rice (carnoroli or arborio)
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 glass white wine
550ml/18fl oz fish stock
3 tbsp finely chopped dill, parsley and basil
1 tsp finely chopped lemon zest
salt and pepper
For the salmon:
4 lightly smoked salmon fillets
For the sauce:
1 finely chopped shallot
3 tbsp white wine
juice of ½ lemon
2.5ml/½ tsp chopped lemon zest
150g/5oz unsalted butter
125g/4oz young spinach
handful fresh rocket leaves
1. For the risotto: over a low heat, melt the 50g/2oz butter and sweat the
shallots for 1-2 minutes. Add the risotto rice and coat in the butter for
a further minute.
2. Add the white wine and season with a tsp of salt and some ground black
pepper, raise the heat to medium.
3. When the rice has absorbed the wine add ½ the stock and continue
to simmer, stir occasionally.
4. As the rice takes up the stock add more - the risotto will take 30-35
minutes, test for softness and adjust the seasoning. Remove from the heat
and keep warm.
5. To prepare the salmon: pat dry the salmon fillets, season and dust the
presentation side with flour.
6. Put a knob of butter in a frying pan and when it is bubbling put in the
salmon fillets presentation side down, over a medium heat.
7. After 2-3 minutes, when coloured, turn and cook a further minute. Turn
off the heat and keep warm.
8. To make the sauce: place the shallot, white wine and lemon juice in a
small saucepan and simmer until reduced to a syrup. Reduce the heat.
9. Chop the chilled butter into small cubes and add 2 at a time until they
are all incorporated by stirring the sauce with a fork or whisk. When the
emulsion is complete, add the lemon zest. Keep warm.
10. Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water until wilted, drain and squeeze
out the excess liquid.
11. To assemble the dish, fold the fresh herbs into the risotto together
with the lemon zest. Dress the rocket leaves with a drizzle of olive oil
12. Divide the risotto between 4 warmed plates, top the risotto with a few
dressed rocket leaves. Place a few wilted leaves of spinach around the risotto,
spoon the sauce around and on the fish and serve.
Smoked Salmon Recipe Ideas
(c) Copyright 2004 Uig Lodge Smoked